I have been pretty busy this past week on China-related activities, but below are some interesting stories, projects and companies I came across concerning the growing cryptocurrency ecosystem.
Of particular interest is the follow-up piece from Preston Byrne (one of the lawyers who helped me with Chapter 2, hire him, he’s brilliant): Bitcoin and the English legal system, part II
Probably the weirdest article was this one calling for Dogecoin to become the “national” currency of Venice (due to a historical spelling similarity). If this doesn’t illustrate “jumping the shark,” I don’t know what else can. But then again, I’m just one market participant.
Thanks to Petri Kajander and Andrew White for several of the links:
- Bitcoin and Namecoin Appear in Draft ICANN Report – U.S. Plans to Relinquish Remaining Control of Internet from Bitcoin Magazine (just a quick note: Namecoin sprang forth from the BitDNS initiative that Satoshi actually discussed a little before disappearing. Thus when people claim “altcoins” are jokes, be sure to point out this little trivia)
- Facebook Security Director, Amazon BD Director Join Bitcoin Startup Coinbase from TechCrunch
- Bitcoin Core v0.9.0 release overview by Jeff Garzik
- Dogecoin just sent $11,000 over Twitter. Instantly. from City A.M.
- Gridcoin founder talks revolution in mining from Crypt.LA
- Neglected Estonian Manor House to be Turned Into Bitcoin Center from ERR (is it smart to tell everyone you are opening up a bank in an old house? Here are Risto Pietilä’s postings on Bitcointalk)
- Ripple Singapore by Tristan Winters (exchanging commodity-backed XRP)
- SafeTX from HashTrust (reputation market)
- Bitmask an open source application to provide easy and secure encrypted communication
- Indonesia to Add Full Bitcoin Exchange as Merchant Network Grows from CoinDesk
- Proof of Existence anonymously and securely store an online distributed proof of existence for any document
- Why Bitcoin Matters for Bankers from American Banker (check out the nuclear power quote from Andreas Antonopolous)
- Experimenting with Bitcoin Business Models from CoinChomp (about 51attack.com, a crypto-clothing store run by Gianni D’Alerta)
- TigerDirect Tops $1 Million in Total Bitcoin Sales from CoinDesk
- Bitcoin, Meet Darwin: Crypto Currency’s Future from Information Week
- Is UCC Article 9 the Achilles Heel of Bitcoin? from Credit Slips
- NYDFS Issues Public Order on Virtual Currency Exchanges (all about Bitlicenses in New York)
- Robocoin Spreads Its Bitcoin ATMs Further from TechCrunch