The past 6 months have seen an evolution of insanity to sanity. Just kidding!
One observation I have seen is that a few of the most vocal coin promoters have finally sat down and spoken with policy makers. Or rather, they finally started attending events in which policy makers, regulators, and decision makers at institutions speak at.
For those of us who have been attending and participating in regulatory-focused events for several years, the general messaging hasn’t changed that much: laws and regulations around financial market infrastructure and financial instruments exist for legitimately good reasons (e.g., systemic risks can be existential to society).
What has changed is that there are a few new faces from the coin world — most of which have previously pretended or perhaps did not even know that there is parallel world that can be engaged with.
It is still too early to see whether or not this governance education will be helpful in moderating their coin-focused excitement on social media but it seems to be the case that regulators and policy makers are still further ahead in their understanding of the coin world than vice versa. Maybe next year coin issuers and promoters will finally dive into the PFMIs which have been around since 2012.
Below are some of the activities I was involved and participated in.
Panels and presentations
- Presentation and panel: “DLT 101” at Silicon Valley Japan Platform in Palo Alto on May 2, 2018
- Presentation: “A quick explanation for why there is even an “enterprise” group of vendors” at BlockTrain Global Blockchain Technology Expo in Santa Clara on May 6, 2018
- Presentation: “Blockchain 2040” and ‘enterprise chains’ at Multi-Disciplinary Hands-On Blockchain Workshop Geared for Women in New York City on May 17, 2018
- Presentation: “Color around dead token litigation” at Anderson Kill’s 1st Annual Blockchain and Virtual Currency Conference in New York City on May 23, 2018
- Panel: “Smart Contracts” at Harvard in Tech in New York City on May 23, 2018 (photo)
- Panel: “Enterprise blockchain for financial services” at Haas School of Business in Berkeley on June 21, 2018
- Panel: “Examining Use Cases of Distributed Ledger Technology” at Distributed conference in San Francisco on July 19, 2018
- Presentation and panel: “Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency” at UBS Future of Money Events (Digital Hub) in Hong Kong on July 27 and July 30, 2018
- Panel: “Blockchain in Practice” at 2nd Annual Fintech Week: Silicon Valley 2018 in San Francisco on August 14, 2018
- Panel: “B2B Blockchain: Security and Governance Concern” at Genesis Blockchain Summit in UCLA on October 25, 2018
- Panel: “Evolving Crypto Use Cases” at DC Fintech Week at Georgetown University on November 5, 2018
Interviews and quotes
- Bitcoin cash is expanding into the void from Financial Times on May 15, 2018
- Swanson’s Take on Wild Cowboys, Lizardcoin, and Lambos from Life in the Fast Chain on May 23, 2018
- Biggest Challenges in Blockchain Projects – Managing Successful Blockchain Projects, Part 2 from EBCS on June 4, 2018
- Ether Escapes But SEC Looks to Herd ICOs Under Regulated Oversight from Diar on June 18, 2018
- Ep. 12: Bitmain — the Most Valuable Crypto Company in the World? from SupChina on July 3, 2018
- Fujitsu’s new blockchain offering: really cheap or really expensive? from Financial Times on July 16, 2018
- Crypto & government: from anarchy to amity in the USA from Financial Times on July 23, 2018
- Regulatory status of the cryptocurrency industry from Deconomy on August 24, 2018
- What are the obstacles to blockchain adoption? from OpenLedger on August 31, 2018
- How to put bitcoin into perspective from The Economist on September 1, 2018
- The promise of the blockchain technology from The Economist on September 1, 2018
- Episode 66: Bitcoin Moons in Argentina from Blockchain Insider on September 20, 2018
- Coinbase wants to be “too big to fail”, lol from Financial Times on October 3, 2018
- Sufficiently Decentralized Howeycoins from Diar on July 1, 2018
- Evolving Language: Decentralized Financial Market Infrastructure from Diar on September 3, 2018
- Can Bitcoin Become a Dominant Currency? from The Wall Street Journal on October 21, 2018
- Systemically important cryptocurrency networks from Fintech Policy on November 5, 2018
- Primer on Blockchain from US AID on April 27, 2018
- 21e800: Bitcoin, Satoshi and the Mystery Twitter Is Obsessing Over from CoinDesk on June 21, 2018
- Coinbase Cryptocurrency Exchange Hires New Chief Compliance Officer from ETH News on July 31, 2018