I ended up traveling a lot more than I expected last year, including 9 times just to East Asia. The level of interest in that region will probably increase this year — especially as more projects and companies are funded — though I probably won’t do the Trans-Pacific shuffle nine times again this year.
As of right now there are probably just a small handful of startups in APAC that have the capital, connections, and capability to execute and build the commercial products and applications that are discussed at the plethora of fintech events. And almost none of them have anything to do with a cryptocurrency itself either… because cryptocurrencies weren’t designed to solve most problems financial service organizations have.
Below are the interviews, events, and presentations I participated in the last few months of 2016.
Note: according to their stats, my “Settlement Risks Involving Public Blockchains” was one of TABB Forum’s top stories of 2016.
- The rise of the banking blockchain consortium from International Business Times on September 23, 2016
- 8 R3 Banks Test Intel Blockchain Platform from CoinDesk on September 26, 2016
- R3’s Tim Swanson: Out of 250 start-ups, only a handful look legitimate from International Business Times on October 5, 2016
- Blockchain seeks to squeeze out the lawyers from Engineering and Technology on October 11, 2016
- What the Blockchain Industry is Saying About Circle’s Bitcoin Shift on December 7, 2016 from CoinDesk
- 5 Things the Bitcoin and Blockchain Industry Needs to Stop Saying in 2017 on December 16, 2016 from CoinDesk
- Blockchains in National Defense: Trusthworthy Systems in a Trustless World by Neil Barnas
- Payment and exchange transactions in shared ledgers by Gideon Greenspan
- Are Transaction Costs Drivers of Financial Institutions? Contracts Made in Heaven, Hell, and the Cloud in Between in Banking Beyond Banks and Money
- Blockchain Technology: Principles and Applications by Marc Pilkington
- 專訪R3聯盟高層：分散式分類帳和區塊鏈有何不同？from IT Home on April 27, 2016
- Smart Cloud Show 2016 from Chosun Ilbo on September 21, 2016 in Seoul, South Korea.
- Keynote: “Blockchain and Financial Big Bang”
- Coverage: Naver
- Global Blockchain Summit event held by Wanxiang Blockchain Labs on September 23, 2016 in Shanghai, China
- Presentation: “Opportunities and Challenges for Financial Services in the Cloud: Trade-offs in digitizing and automating finance” (R3 Blurb)
- Fujitsu Laboratories of America Technology Symposium annual event on October 11, 2016 in Santa Clara, California
- Panel: “The Blockchain Future – Challenges and Opportunities Ahead”
- Fórum Blockchain event jointly held by Itaú and Bradesco on October 13, 2016 in São Paulo, Brazil
- Presentation: “Smart Contracts: cryptographically secured, automated business logic”
- MIT Fintech Course: Future Commerce on October 18, 2016 (virtual)
- Discussion: “Distributed Ledger Technology Landscape and Regulations”
- GAIM OPS West Coast annual event held on October 25, 2016 in Rancho Mirage, California
- Panel: “Blockchain: What Exactly is it disrupting? Will it Negate Counterparty Risk?” (Photo)
- CIO Study Trip hosted by the Capgemini Applied Innovation Exchange Lab on behalf of the IT Management Association on October 26, 2016 in San Francisco
- Presentation: “Distributed Ledger Technology” and “Legal and Regulatory Challenges”
- Day long discussions on November 9, 2016 at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York
- Presentation: “Code is not law” (Photos)
- Guest lecture at the Boston Economic Club on November 16, 2016 in Boston, Massachusetts.
- Presentation: “DLT as Financial Market Infrastructure” (Photo)
- Global Trade Review: West Coast Trade & Working Capital Conference on November 17, 2016 in San Jose, California
- Panel: “Fintech investment and evolution of the trade finance sector” (Photo)
- The Future of Financial Payment Services Driven by Technology Innovation on November 22, 2016 from Korea Finance Telecommunications & Clearings Institute 30th Anniversary Seminar in Seoul, South Korea
- Inside Fintech on December 8-9, 2016 in Seoul, South Korea
- Ethereum and Bitcoin joint meetup on December 12, 2016 in Hong Kong
- Presentation: “On Consortiums: R3’s Tim Swanson in Conversation”
- 13th annual China International Finance Forum on December 15, 2016 in Shanghai, China